Sunday, August 14, 2011

Harvest Almost Ready

Well it has been awhile since I have last posted in April. Farming is a busy occupation and when you throw kids in the mix, it is almost insane. I did not get any spring crop planted, the trees that blew down in November were cut up and taken to the mill, and we ended up with two cutting of alfalfa hay.

Today however we are nearing harvest. We have winter wheat to cut and this will be my shortest harvest in memory. I figure it will take around 8 days to cut our wheat baring any breakdowns.

My little brother Chris has been working on the farm full time and Dillon and Logan go back to school on the 24th.My hired men will be helping out again as well to drive truck and Rhonda will be cooking meals, taking care of the farm, and running the boys to registration and practices.

I am looking forward to harvest right now because there is an opportunity for Chris and Dillon to learn how to properly run a combine. Depending upon the weather I am sure they will get their chances.

Looking back on this year, it is almost a blessing that I did not plant any spring crops because we are already 2-3 weeks later than normal and the garbanzo beans look like they will be ready late September to early October.

Another reason I am thankful for not planting a spring crop is my Fellowship. I leave on October 14th for Argentina. Most of the meetings are in place, airline tickets are purchased, and hotels are reserved. As I get closer to my departing date I will give a better account of my meetings.

Back to harvest. The combine is as ready as we can make it, the semi is ready, and all the tractors and wagons are good to go. Water tanks and extinguishers are filled in case of fire, and tools are ready in case of breakdown. The Jawbone is connected to the Android and the Insight is ready to give me instant feedback.

Even though harvest is the most stressful time of the year, I am thankful that I am a farmer. What other occupation can a person have that allows them to see their family any time and to watch their kids grow right before their eyes. Even when they take time to pose from getting equipment ready or Bandit get into the groove.

To all of those that are harvesting, good luck and God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment